Prep 1 min
Cook 1 hr
Cheesy is not the word. Just bursting with flavors. An Italian classic. Serve with freshly tossed salad and some garlic bread. DELICIOSSSO!!!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 12 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- 2 cups large curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 12 -16 manicotti
- additional parmesan cheese, to taste
- Tomato sauce: saute 1 large onion, chopped, and 1 sweet red bell pepper, (seeded and chopped) in 3 tablespoons olive or salad oil until tender.
- Mix in 2 cloves garlic (minced or pressed), 1 large can (28oz.) tomatoes, 1/2 cup dry red wine (optional). 1 teaspoons each sugar and salt, and 1 tablespoons dried basil leaves. Bring to boiling. Cover and simmer 20 minute Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes until sauce is reduced to about 1 quart.
- Spoon 1 cup of the tomato sauce into a greased 13- by- 9 inch baking dish.
- Mix ground beef, parsley, onions, salt, herbs, cottage cheese. Jack cheese and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Divide mixture into 12 to 16 equal portions.
- Stuff uncooked manicotti shells with it. Place filled shells in baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce evenly over them. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover tightly with foil (refrigerate, if made ahead).
- Bake at 350°F until manciotti are tender, about 1 1/4 hours (1 1/2 hours if refreigerated).
- Uncover. Bake 5 minute to brown lightly.
- Serve sprinkled with additional Parmesan cheese.