Recipe by Hey Jude
This is kind of decadent but it's really nice comfort food on a cold day.
Top Review by Trauma*RN
My husband, the picky eater, loved it so much he had the leftovers for breakfast the next day. I thought it needed a little more seasoning -- next time I make it, I might add a clove of garlic.
- 3⁄4 lb wagon wheel macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, rinse and set aside in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat and stir in flour and paprika. Cook and whisk paste for 3 minutes.
- Stir in milk and salt and whisk until smooth. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Pour the milk-flour mixture, Worcestershire sauce and 2 cups of the cheddar cheese into the large bowl with reserved pasta. Mix well.
- Grease a 2-quart shallow baking dish and transfer the pasta-cheese mixture to the casserole.
- In a small bowl mix the remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese with the bread crumbs and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 30 minutes or until edges are golden-brown and sauce is bubbling. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.