Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is kind of decadent but it's really nice comfort food on a cold day.
- 3⁄4 lb wagon wheel macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, rinse and set aside in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat and stir in flour and paprika. Cook and whisk paste for 3 minutes.
- Stir in milk and salt and whisk until smooth. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Pour the milk-flour mixture, Worcestershire sauce and 2 cups of the cheddar cheese into the large bowl with reserved pasta. Mix well.
- Grease a 2-quart shallow baking dish and transfer the pasta-cheese mixture to the casserole.
- In a small bowl mix the remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese with the bread crumbs and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 30 minutes or until edges are golden-brown and sauce is bubbling. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
My husband, the picky eater, loved it so much he had the leftovers for breakfast the next day. I thought it needed a little more seasoning -- next time I make it, I might add a clove of garlic.