Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
I had a half a pound of smoked sausage and didn't want to just fry and serve it up. I did a bit of " Freezer Diving " ;) and found a bag of cauliflower. So, I combined that with the smoked sausage, a few extras, and a cheese sauce and this is what I came up with. :)If you wanted to, you can cook about 1/8th. to 1/4th cup of finely chopped onion with the sausage. And to make this a One- Dish meal, just add some frozen peas. I want to thank Chef#64642 ( Molly53 ) and Chef#546010 ( Chicagoland du Jour ) for coming up with the name for this recipe.I know that this looks complicated, but it's really easy to make.Submitted to Food.com ( a.k.a. ZAAR ) on January 14th.2011.
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen cauliflower, thawed
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage (I used Hillshire Farms with the yellow packaging )
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (may not use all of this )
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated (divided)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teapoon salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a medium skillet heat oil and,brown sausage and onion, ( If using ) and set aside ( drain if needed ).
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter/margarine; add flour and cook until light yellow and pasty-looking.
- Add a little milk at a time and stir until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and add 1 cup of cheese, salt and pepper and stir until well blended.
- Then fold the cauliflower and smoked sausage into the cheese sauce, coating well.
- Place into a greased 2 quart rectangle or a 8 x 8 square baking dish.
- Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with paprika if desired and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.