Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This chowder is delicious! You could substitute any type of fish or seafood for the catfish and it would be just as good.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced baby carrots
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs catfish fillets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter and saute the onion until tender.
- Pour in chicken broth and water.
- Mix in celery, carrots, and potatoes.
- Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups of milk and all of flour. Mix into the Dutch oven.
- Mix remaining milk, celery salt, salt, and pepper into the Dutch oven. Stirring occasionally, continue cooking the mixture about 10 minutes until thickened.
- Stir the catfish into the mixture, and cook 5 minutes or until fish is easily flaked with a fork.
- Mix in the cheddar cheese and cook another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
We made this once basically as written, halving it, leaving out the celery and celery salt and doubling the salt, and using soy cheese and lactose-free milk. It was very good, but we decided to experiment and made it again leaving out the catfish and doubling the potatoes instead, and it was delicious as a potato-cheddar chowder. Thanks for the great basic recipe!