Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This yummy savoury quiche is an adaption of a carrot herb quiche found in Christina Richon's Quiches, Cakes and Tartes Book. Its cheesy, but not too heavy with a wonderful fresh taste from the tomato sauce and carrot. The crust ist aromatic and crunchy. I hope youll enjoy this as much as we do! :)
For the crust
- 150 g flour (I used spelt flour)
- 50 g whole wheat flour (I used whole spelt)
- 50 g cold butter, diced
- 100 ml tomato sauce (plain, nothing added)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon herb infused salt
For the filling
- 1 large carrot, grated coarsely
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chives (dried or fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use less if your heat tolerance is low)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon herb infused salt
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal (or use semolina)
- 2 eggs (medium)
- 100 g tomato paste
- 250 g cream cheese (low-fat is fine)
- 250 g ricotta cheese (I used low-fat)
- 150 g cheddar cheese, grated coarsely (or use a mix of your favs)
- In a big bowl combine the flours. Rub in butter using your fingertips. Add tomato sauce, poppy seeds, nutmeg and salt and knead into a smooth dough.
- Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile put all of the filling ingredients into a big bowl and stir together with a spoon until well combined.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out to fit a 11 inch spring form pan. Pat into the greased pan making sure that dough also covers the sides of the pan.
- Pour in filling and bake in the preheated oven at 200°C/400°F for 45 minutes covering the quiche after 25 minutes.
- Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy! :).