Recipe by *Monica*
This is so yummy. It's creamy and cheesy and you can hardly tell you're eating carrots
Top Review by Nana Lee
I'm not that keen on carrots to start with but know how important they are, healthwise. So this casserole is a good way for me to fit them into my meals. Instead of using cheese slices I used 8 oz of shredded cheddar and mixed it into the sauce. I also threw a handful of parmesan on top instead of breadcrumbs(less carbs that way). I think the celery salt was a very nice touch. I really enjoyed this and will make it again. I had some left over and used it to fill some "TV" dinners I made to freeze. Thanks
- 12 medium carrots, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, sliced (medium or sharp)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook carrots in salted water until tender. You should have 6 cups. Drain.
- Melt first amount of butter in saucepan. Add onion and saute until clear and soft.
- Mix in flour, sailt, pepper and celery salt.
- Stir in mustard and milk until it boils and thickens.
- Layer in 2 litre casserole as follows: 1/2 carrots, 1/2 cheese slices, 1/2 carrots, 1/2 cheese slices, all of the sauce.
- Melt second amount of butter in small saucepan. Stir in crumbs.
- Spread over all.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 25 - 30 minutes until browned and heated through.