Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Better Homes and Gardens. Of course you can double for larger families, or multiple days of bread. I will be making a cookbook of recipes that use this dough. For whole wheat version, substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the stirred in all-purpose flour. For cheese version, stir in 1 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese with the stirred-in flour.
- 887.21 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.08 g package active dry yeast or 11.09 ml instant yeast
- 2.46 ml dried dill (optional) or 2.46 ml sage (optional) or 2.46 ml basil (optional)
- 295.73 ml milk
- 59.14 ml margarine or 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml shortening
- 29.58-59.16 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites
- 236.59 ml mozzarella cheese or 236.59 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 177.44 ml ricotta cheese
- 59.14 ml sun-dried tomato (oil pack)
- 14.79 ml milk
- 14.79 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, and, if desired, herb.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, margarine, sugar, and salt just till warm (120 to 130 F) and margarine almost melts.
- Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour. Divide dough into halves or quarters.
- To chill, cover portions and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Or, to freeze, wrap the portions in plastic wrap and place in freezer bags. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. To use let dough stand at room temperature about 2 1/2 hours or till thawed. (Or, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.)
- To make Calzone use 1/2 of the above recipe,.
- In a mixing bowl stir together mozzarella or cheddar cheese, ricotta cheese, and if desired, sun-dried tomatoes. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface roll bread dough into a 10 inch circle. Transfer to a large baking sheet.
- Spread cheese mixture over half of the circle to within 1 inch of edge. Moisten edges of dough with water. Fold dough in half over cheese mixture. Seal edges by pressing together with fingers. Cut slits in top. Brush top with milk. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 375 over for 25 to 30 minutes or till crust is golden brown. Serves 2.