Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Cheeseburger pie--really better made with ground turkey or ground pork, or a mixture of the two. If made with ground beef, it must be VERY lean, or you will have a soggy crust!
Top Review by CoffeeB
This is almost like a meatloaf only with crust. I probably should have served this w/a side of mash potatoes or at least a veggie...but upon asking DH he said it was meal in itself and nothing else was needed. Alrighty then....nuff said. This went together in no time. I might add however that you furture reviewers should heed the advice of Kerfuffle and make sure your hamburg is very lean. Mine wasn't real, and it did make the crust a bit soggy. I even prebaked the crust for 5 minutes...still it wasn't that bad that anyone said anything. Tagged and made for Springs' PAC 09.
- 1⁄4 cup onion (chopped fine)
- 1 1⁄4 lbs extra lean ground beef (or pork or turkey)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 4 slices bread (toasted dry and crumbed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 unbaked deep dish pie shell
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- MEAT PIE directions:.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine first ten (10) ingredients.
- Press meat mixture into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake at 375°F for 50 minutes.
- CHEESE TOPPING directions:.
- Combine cheese and Worcestershire sauce and spread on top of baked meat pie.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Cool 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- 6-8 servings.