Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cheeseburger pie--really better made with ground turkey or ground pork, or a mixture of the two. If made with ground beef, it must be VERY lean, or you will have a soggy crust!
- 1⁄4 cup onion (chopped fine)
- 1 1⁄4 lbs extra lean ground beef (or pork or turkey)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 4 slices bread (toasted dry and crumbed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 unbaked deep dish pie shell
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- MEAT PIE directions:.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine first ten (10) ingredients.
- Press meat mixture into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake at 375°F for 50 minutes.
- CHEESE TOPPING directions:.
- Combine cheese and Worcestershire sauce and spread on top of baked meat pie.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Cool 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- 6-8 servings.
This is almost like a meatloaf only with crust. I probably should have served this w/a side of mash potatoes or at least a veggie...but upon asking DH he said it was meal in itself and nothing else was needed. Alrighty then....nuff said. This went together in no time. I might add however that you furture reviewers should heed the advice of Kerfuffle and make sure your hamburg is very lean. Mine wasn't real, and it did make the crust a bit soggy. I even prebaked the crust for 5 minutes...still it wasn't that bad that anyone said anything. Tagged and made for Springs' PAC 09.
Made this for lunch yesterday and it was excellent! Used ground venison since I have quite a bit from hunting season and the venison works just fine!
Perfect! Reminds me of the AUS beef pies which I absolutely adore! Yeah, I used beef in it so to avoid the soggy crust, I pre-baked it a wee bit. Love everything in it. Even DH after he had a huge serving, got another one again, giving me this guilty look and said, "But it's so good." Since it's just him and me, we had it for lunch and dinner. We even had to fight for the last piece day after. I also like making this as the instructions were very easy and quick to follow. Definitely a keeper! Thanks for sharing this, Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle! Made for Fall PAC baby 2008.