1/1 Photo of Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Bake
A turkey or prime rib dinner just can't go without this! This can be doubled if desired. To save some time cook the sprouts hours in advance or a day ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (rub between fingers to release flavor)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional or to taste)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (I use 1-3/4 cups half and half and 1/4 cup whipping cream, unwhipped)
- 1 1/2-2 cups gruyere cheese (or similar cheese like Swiss or Gouda, but it is better using the gruyere cheese)
- seasoning salt (can use regular salt)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease a baking dish large enough to hold the mixture (about an 8-cup).
- 3To make the topping: stir together the bread crumbs and melted butter, add in the cheese, mix well until combined; set aside.
- 4Wash and trim the sprouts and cut an "X" in the bottom.
- 5Cook the sprouts in boiling water for about 7-8 minutes, or until fairly tender.
- 6Drain and plunge into ice water or very cold water (squeeze out any excess water with hands).
- 7Place into prepared baking dish.
- 8In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- 9Add in the thyme, fresh garlic (if using) and chopped onion; saute for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- 10Add/whisk in flour, cook whisking for 5 minutes.
- 11Add in half and half cream, seasoning salt and pepper; bring to a very light boil, and whisk continuously for about 6-7 minutes until mixture is smooth and thick.
- 12Remove from the heat.
- 13Add in the gruyere cheese; stir until melted.
- 14Pour the creamed mixture over the sprouts in the dish.
- 15Sprinkle with the topping mixture.
- 16Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Bake
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 611.4
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.2 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 105.0 mg
- Sodium 553.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 23.6 g