Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a vegetable pasta dish extraordinare! A half package of frozen spinach is all you need for this dish, if desired use a 6-ounce package of fresh baby spinach leaves in place of frozen.
- 8 ounces small shell pasta (measure 8 ounces before cooking) or 8 ounces macaroni, cooked (measure 8 ounces before cooking)
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb fresh broccoli florets (cooked to firm-tender and drained well)
- 0.5 (10 ounce) frozen spinach (well drained)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups full-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- grated parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl toss the cooked shells, cooked broccoli and spinach with 1-2 tablespoons oil; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan melt butter over medium heat; add in onion and saute for about 5 minutes (adding in the garlic if using the last 2-3 minutes of cooking).
- Add in mushrooms; cook for about 5-6 minutes or until they release their moisture.
- Add in flour; stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually add in milk; cook stirring/whisking constantly for about 8 minutes.
- Add in 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese, whipping cream, nutmeg, stirring over low heat until the cheese melts, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over the shells and veggies in the bowl; toss to coat and transfer to baking dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (as much as desired).
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.