Recipe by Alskann
A family favorite - flavorful and comforting on a cold winter evening.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Just how I like my broccoli cheese soup! It's just the right texture and thickness. Great flavor from the onions and that hint of nutmeg. I've always loved the hint of nutmeg in my cream soups. I used the fresh broccoli and used fat free half and half for the light cream. My cheese was sharp cheddar. Thanx for a wonderful soup!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh broccoli (or 2 10 oz packages frozen chopped broccoli)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and chop broccoli into bite size pieces.
- Cook broccoli in a small amount of salted water until tender.
- While broccoli is cooking, melt butter in heavy saucepan. Add onion and cook until tender and translucent.
- Stir in flour to make roux; slowly add broth and cream.
- Stir and cook just until thickened.
- Add salt, nutmeg, and drained,cooked broccoli.
- Just before serving, stir in cheese.
- Serve with crusty bread.