Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A classic for winter. I LOVE SOUP! To make it lower in fat, I use 1 cup of the 50% light cheddar from Cabot and fat free 1/2 and 1/2
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup cabot 50% light cheddar cheese
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- black pepper
- In a soup pot melt butter. Add potatoes and onion and garlic and stir until onion is tender, 5 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and half and half and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cook another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese and lemon juice.
- Season with pepper.