Recipe by mommycook
This delicious thick cheesy soup is delicious and freezes well. The potatoes help thicken it with out flour but don't add a real potato flavor. I make a big batch then freeze small containers to reheat quickly in the microwave when the craving for it hits me.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Wonderfully thick and cheesey! I loved the smooth texture with some chunks mixed in. I used butter instead of olive oil, otherwise I made it as written. I will definitely make this again. Thanx for sharing.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks broccoli
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped coarsely
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut broccoli heads into florets. Peel and chop any stalk that is remaining.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over low heat. Add onions and broccoli. Cover and cook about 10-15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Remove about 1 cup of florets and save in a bowl. Add potatoes to soup pot.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Use a stick blender to puree in the pot or remove batches to a blender and carefully puree the hot soup.
- Add milk to soup in pot. Stir and heat through. Stir in cheese and broccoli florets that had been set aside. Heat until cheese is melted.