This delicious thick cheesy soup is delicious and freezes well. The potatoes help thicken it with out flour but don't add a real potato flavor. I make a big batch then freeze small containers to reheat quickly in the microwave when the craving for it hits me.
- Cut broccoli heads into florets. Peel and chop any stalk that is remaining.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over low heat. Add onions and broccoli. Cover and cook about 10-15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Remove about 1 cup of florets and save in a bowl. Add potatoes to soup pot.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Use a stick blender to puree in the pot or remove batches to a blender and carefully puree the hot soup.
- Add milk to soup in pot. Stir and heat through. Stir in cheese and broccoli florets that had been set aside. Heat until cheese is melted.