Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This cheese and veggie packed pasta side dish always brings compliments. Add chicken or shrimp and you'll have a well-balanced entree. Found in the Taste of Home Parties, Potlucks & Barbecue cookbook.
- 12 ounces uncooked rigatoni pasta
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meawhile, in a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in flour and salt until blended.
- Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; set aside. Drain pasta and toss with oil; set aside.
- Add 1 inch of water to a large saucepan; add broccoli. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4 - 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- in a 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray, layer 1 cup white sauce, half of the pasta and broccoli and 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat remaining layers. Top with remaining sauce and cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 - 30 minutes or until heated through.
This pasta dish turned out so yummy. It was very creamy, cheesy and the broccoli added a nice touch. I used whole spelt pasta and a blend of different cheeses in place of the mozzarella. For my roux I didnt need as much butter as stated, but I guess that varies from day to day. I loved the layering technique in this as it made the pasta very creamy. However I found that the dish needed a bit more flavour, some black pepper and onion maybe or some cayenne pepper and Italian herbs. Other than that though a true keeper! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing it with us, Crafty!
Made and reviewed for the Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap November 2011.
I enjoyed this very much as a full meal for a luncheon with my sister n law. We both liked the freshness of the brocolli and the cheese together. I love garlic so this is right up my alley. I will make this again as a quick dinner or luncheon for friends and family. Perfect for the unexpected hurry up meal. This would also be a great side dish for dinner. I did reduce this for 2 people but wish I would have made more for leftovers. I bet it is even better the 2nd time around. Made for AUS/NZ Swap49
This is so delicious! This is so flavorful thanks to the fresh garlic and cheese. I did add some freshly shredded parmesan cheese as well as the mozzarella. I did use frozen broccoli and cooked that in the microwave before adding to pasta. I love broccoli and pasta together so this is a definite winner! I will make again. Made for Photo Tag.