Very good on a cold evening. Serve with garlic bread or crusty rolls. If there are any leftovers, you may want to add extra chicken broth as the noodles will thicken the liquid.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 6 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 6 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 8 ounces fine egg noodles
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 cups milk (I use lowfat milk)
- 16 ounces American cheese
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan.
- Add onion and saute over medium heat till onions are golden.
- Add chicken (or vegetable for vegetarians) broth and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and noodles.
- Cook uncovered for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in broccoli and garlic powder and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add milk, cheese and pepper stirring constantly until the cheese is melted.