Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Very good on a cold evening. Serve with garlic bread or crusty rolls. If there are any leftovers, you may want to add extra chicken broth as the noodles will thicken the liquid.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 6 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 6 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 8 ounces fine egg noodles
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 cups milk (I use lowfat milk)
- 16 ounces American cheese
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan.
- Add onion and saute over medium heat till onions are golden.
- Add chicken (or vegetable for vegetarians) broth and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and noodles.
- Cook uncovered for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in broccoli and garlic powder and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add milk, cheese and pepper stirring constantly until the cheese is melted.
Terrific soup! Quick and easy to make, too. I omitted that 6th cup of milk to keep it on the thicker side. I have leftover, so I'm sure I may need to add milk again when I reheat it. I've always avoided making broccoli soups with noodles in them...... I just didn't think I'd like the combination. This recipe proved me wrong. Thanx for posting!
I used to make a similar recipe years ago, and my eldest DD requested it this week. I made this tonight and even my pickiest eater ate a small bowl! I used fresh broccoli, and topped each bowl with shredded cheddar. Very good, thanks for posting!
Very very tasty. I loved it!! My son loved it too!! It was so nice and easy to make on a snowy evening. I actually had everything in the house to make it. I am definately making this again!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe.