Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A 10-ounce package frozen broccoli pieces can be used in place of the cooked fresh broccoli if desired, and old cheddar cheese can be used in place of the three-cheese blend. This makes a great weeknight meal also served with a side salad!
- 3⁄4-1 lb turkey sausage (casings removed or use pork sausage)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (to taste) (optional)
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets (cooked and well drained)
- 2 cups shredded 3-cheese gourmet cheddar blend cheese, divided
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- salt (I use about 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, but white salt will do fine)
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional or to taste)
- 1 -2 firm plum tomato, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet cook the turkey sausage or pork sausage meat with onion and garlic (if using) until the meat is no longer pink; drain fat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Toss together the sausage with cooked broccoli and about 1/2 cup three-cheese blend; spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl whisk eggs, add in 1/2 cup shredded three-cheese blend, ricotta, half and half cream, salt, pepper and cayenne (if using) pour over the broccoli mixture in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheddar (or to taste) cheese, then arrange the tomato slices on top.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes; uncover and continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes more.