Recipe by HokiesMom
This is a nice "chunky" veggie soup instead of pureed. Adjusted from a TOH Holiday magazine recipe submitted by J. Russell
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small vidalia onion, chopped fine
- 2 cups water (or vegetable stock is fine too)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 lb process cheese, cubed (Velveeta)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine the broccoli, cauliflower, celery, onion, and water (or veggie) stock.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover to simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- While vegetables are simmering, in a small saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir the flour into the butter until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk to the flour mixture and bring this to a boil then cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to the milk mixture and add the cheese then cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain vegetables and place back into their saucepan.
- Add cheese sauce to the vegetables and heat through.