- 2 lbs fresh broccoli, trimmed and cut up
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the casserole
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Butter a 9 by 13-inch casserole.
- Steam broccoli until tender, about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat and sauté the celery, mushrooms, and onion until softened, about 10 minutes; drain.
- Combine the broccoli and the cooked vegetables in a bowl.
- Heat the soup and Velveeta cheese in a saucepan over low heat until the cheese melts. Pour it over the broccoli mixture.
- Add the garlic salt and pepper and combine.
- Put it in the buttered casserole dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle the top with the grated cheddar the last 5 minutes of baking.