Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Great OAMC recipe from dinnersinthefreezer.com
- 1 cup water
- 2 lbs broccoli, fresh
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup celery (chopped)
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, sliced (drained)
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese (cubed)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded) or 1 cup colby cheese (shredded)
- Cut broccoli into 1 inch pieces and cook 5 to 8 minutes in salted water. Drain well. Sauté onion, celery and mushrooms in butter; drain. Stir together mushroom mixture, broccoli and water chestnuts; set aside.
- Combine Velveeta cheese and soup; cook over low heat, stirring until cheese melts. Add garlic salt and pepper. Pour over broccoli mixture and spoon into a greased 2 quart casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes; sprinkle with grated cheese and bake an additional five minutes.
- Note: This is really good and is worth the number of pans, however, I have also successfully made this using only one pan. I use an oven proof/stove top casserole and sauté the vegetables. The broccoli is placed atop and then steamed for about 5 minutes. about 3 tablespoons of water may be added, if desired. The remaining ingredients are added and the container covered for another 5-8 minutes to allow the cheese to soften. Remove cover and stir gently to blend cheese and soup with other ingredients. Place in preheated oven to bake as directed. I actually think this method of preparation is better as the broccoli does not get overcooked and the sauce seems to be creamier.
- Prepare casseroles and freeze before baking. Unthaw and bake as directed.