Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 lbs fresh broccoli, trimmed and cut up
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the casserole
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 lb cheese, product softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Butter a 9 by 13-inch casserole.
- Steam the broccoli until tender, about 10 minutes. In the meantime, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat and saute the celery, mushrooms, and onion until softened, about 10 minutes; drain. Combine the broccoli and the cooked vegetables in a bowl.
- Heat the soup and softened cheese product in a saucepan over low heat until the cheese melts. Pour it over the broccoli mixture. Add the garlic salt and pepper and combine.
- Put it into the buttered casserole dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle the top with the grated Cheddar the last 5 minutes of baking.