Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Great way to dress up veggies!
Make and share this Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large head broccoli (about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained (to taste, I use 1/3 can)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- additional milk, if needed, to thin sauce
- Cut broccoli and cauliflower into florets, discarding outer leaves and stems.
- You should have about 8 cups broccoli florets and 4 cups cauliflower.
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add cauliflower; cook 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli; cook an additional 6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender. Drain.
- While vegetables are cooking, make Cheese Sauce:.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk; continue to whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, mustard, chiles, hot-pepper sauce and salt.
- Stir until smooth. If a thinner sauce is desired, stir in a few more tablespoons of milk.
- To serve, place vegetables in large serving dish and pour cheese sauce over the top. Serve immediately.
- Do Ahead: Cook vegetables, rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Drain and refrigerate. Prepare sauce; let cool, then cover and refrigerate up to a day ahead.
- To serve, uncover; remove from refrigerator and let stand 30 minutes.
- Reheat separately in microwave oven (adding more milk to sauce as needed).
I brought this dish to a friends house for dinner, because she has a veggie picky son and a veggie picky husband. I left out the hot sauce to make it more kid friendly. We were all happy with the result - very tasty!
We loved this! The cheese sauce gives a nice zip to the veggies, especially the green chilies and pepper sauce. Love the fact that this can be made ahead of time too. Another great recipe, Shanna Bennett.
used a habanero based sauce,worked well