1/2 Photos of Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower
Great way to dress up veggies!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained (to taste, I use 1/3 can)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- additional milk, if needed, to thin sauce
- 1Cut broccoli and cauliflower into florets, discarding outer leaves and stems.
- 2You should have about 8 cups broccoli florets and 4 cups cauliflower.
- 3In a large pot, bring 8 cups of lightly salted water to a boil.
- 4Add cauliflower; cook 2 minutes.
- 5Add broccoli; cook an additional 6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender. Drain.
- 6While vegetables are cooking, make Cheese Sauce:.
- 7In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.
- 8Gradually whisk in the milk; continue to whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil.
- 9Remove from heat and stir in cheese, mustard, chiles, hot-pepper sauce and salt.
- 10Stir until smooth. If a thinner sauce is desired, stir in a few more tablespoons of milk.
- 11To serve, place vegetables in large serving dish and pour cheese sauce over the top. Serve immediately.
- 12Do Ahead: Cook vegetables, rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Drain and refrigerate. Prepare sauce; let cool, then cover and refrigerate up to a day ahead.
- 13To serve, uncover; remove from refrigerator and let stand 30 minutes.
- 14Reheat separately in microwave oven (adding more milk to sauce as needed).
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.3
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 32.3 mg
- Sodium 342.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 10.0 g