Recipe by Troop Angel
I had this at my niece's house recently...it's easy to make up and makes a ton, so it's perfect for a family gathering. The original recipe calls for a pie pan, but she just used a 9x13 in pan with great success. Also, she said she said that you can cook the sausage up the night before so that the next morning all you have to do is mix everything together and bake it. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Lady Dancer
This was really very good! I just returned from vacation where we ate out most of the time and was really tired of "how do you want your eggs?", so I turned to 'Zaar for a good Sunday fall breakfast. Since I had frozen hash browns I wanted to use, I found the rest was pretty much on hand. I keep a roll of Bob Evans sausage in the freezer for last minute dishes so I was set to go. I didn't have a 10 inch pie plate either so I opted for a 2 quart casserole and it worked perfectly. The only other change I made was that I used dehydrated onions and freeze dried chives (2T each)which I had on hand. The directions were very good but I do wish I had the nutrition info on this recipe which isn't showing for some reason. This would be a good choice when you don't quite get around to doing the overnight breakfast casserole for visitors. Thanks for posting!
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen loose-pack hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup baking mix (I use Bisquick)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Grease 10 x 1 1/2" pie plate.
- Cook sausage and onion in 10-inch skillet, stirring frequently, until sausage is fully cooked; drain fat.
- Mix sausage mixture, potatoes and 1 c cheese in pie plate.
- Beat remaining ingredients except 1/4 c cheese with wire whisk or hand beater until smooth; pour over sausage mixture.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 c cheese.
- Bake about 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.