Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have placed this here so that I don't lose the recipe, I haven't made this yet, but want too, it sounds sooo yummy. Found this on an old peice of paper that was in one of my dad's cookbooks.
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
- 28.39 ml buttermilk
- 118.29 ml cheese, old cheddar, white, shredded
- 118.29 ml cheese, medium cheddar, orange, shredded
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 3.40 g yeast (half a 1/4 oz package)
- 28.39 ml warm water
- 1 egg
- 1.23 ml salt, sea
- 591.47-650.62 ml flour, all purpose
- 177.44 ml cheese, medium cheddar, shredded
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes
- 28.39 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- Put buttermilk and cheese in a large pan and cook over low heat the cheese has melted. Stir, don't worry if mixture appears curdled.
- Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, disolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk mixture, egg, salt and 1 1/2 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth, then stir in remaining flour until it forms a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured boad, knead for 8 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Please in a greased bowl, turn once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise for an hour in a warm place until it has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough on floured board and divide the dough in half and roll each peice into an 9 x 6 inch rectangle.
- Spray one half of the dough with cooking spray. Top with the cheddar and red pepper flakes then top with the remaining peice of dough.
- Cut the prepared dough into 6 (1 1/2 inch strips)
- Cut each strip in half and twist.
- Place about 1 inch apart on greased and foiled cookie sheet and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Put on wire rack to cool, serve warm.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
These bread twists had a lot of cheese flavor! I could not find Old Cheddar so I used Artisan shredded Wisconsin Sharp White Cheddar. Thanks so much for the recipe : )