Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Got this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. We love all kinds of different breads. Haven't gotten to try it yet but sure sounds delicious.
- 236.59 ml water, warm
- 118.29 ml shredded monterey jack cheese (with or without jalapeno peppers)
- 29.58 ml cooking oil
- 709.77 ml bread flour
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 4.92 ml dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cracked black pepper
- 4.92 ml active dry yeast or 4.92 ml bread machine yeast
- 1 egg white
- 14.79 ml water
- crushed black pepper or parmesan cheese or kosher salt
- Add warm water,oil,3/4tsp salt,to a 1 1/2lb to 2lb bread machine.
- Add 2c.bread flour, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning,1/2tsp black pepper, Monterey Jack cheese than add the last 1cup of bread flour.
- Make a hole in dough and add the yeast.
- Set machine to the dough cycle.
- After cycle has finished, punch dough down and cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into thirds after rising.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 14x10-inch rectangle. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the dough lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- For each breadstick, pick up 2 strips together and twist several times; press ends together.
- Place breadsticks 1/2 inch apart on greased baking sheets.
- Stir together egg white and water; brush onto breadsticks.
- Sprinkle with pepper, salt, and/or cheese.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire racks.
These are fabulous. The flavor is great. Easy to make. The only issue I have is that they are much skinnier than the picture. I was expecting these big fluffy breadsticks and they are only a little bigger than my finger. I followed the instructions exactly and I make yeast bread at least once per week, so I'm not new to this. However, perhaps I made a mistake. Anyway great recipe.
These breadsticks are outstanding!! I made them to take to the coast with us for Christmas, hoping they will freeze nicely, don't see why they won't! In any case we had to have a taste, DH loves them as do I and I think they will be a welcome addition to our Christmas dinner. Thanks for posting I will make them again!