Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
I developed this recipe from an asiago cheese bagel recipe. Any shredded cheese will work, I like cheddar, but a more flavor neutral white pizza cheese blend makes them work a little better for us. My son even likes to put peanut butter on them because the cheese flavor is not overpowering. You may need to add a little extra water if the ball of dough is too stiff, depending on the type of cheese you use. This recipe can easily be halved, and you could make this with out a bread machine by mixing and kneading by hand. You may add 1 more tsp. yeast for fluffier bagels. This recipe is so simple. My whole family loves them, and hardly wait until they are cool enough to eat.
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 cup pizza cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 egg white
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal
- Combine water, cheese, sugar, salt, flour, and yeast in the bread machine. I let the cheese kind of melt into the water for a minute before adding the remaining ingredients. Use the dough setting on your bread machine. If you machine doesn't have a dough setting stop it after the second kneading.
- Remove the dough after it has finished rising in the bread machine and divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball.
- Using fingers, poke a hole in the middle and form into a bagel shape.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Let rise under a wet tea towel or paper towels for 30 more minutes.
- While bagels are rising, start boiling a large pot of water with 3 TBS of sugar.
- After bagels have risen boil each side for 30 seconds, place on dry paper towels to dry before transferring to cornmeal dusted pan. (I divide them between 2 jellyroll pans).
- Use a pastry brush to brush the egg whites on top of the bagels.
- You can sprinkle extra cheese on top of bagels for a caramelized cheese crunch.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Turning the pans halfway for even baking.
- Cool for 5 minutes on wire rack and enjoy!