Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These kids will love, my DH is a big kid and he ate 4 of them (pig). Change the topping to suit your kids and you will have their new favorite hot dog with a twist.
- 226.79 g hot dog, cubed
- 226.79 g sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 56.69 g stuffed green olives, chopped
- 118.29 ml frozen diced onion
- 118.29 ml chili sauce
- 4.92 ml mustard
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 29.58 ml mayonnaise
- 4 pita bread rounds
- heavy duty aluminum foil
- Cut hot dogs into fourths lengthwise, then slice into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Combine with olives, eggs, mustard, mayonnaise, chili sauce and cheese, mixing well.
- Cut pita rounds in half.
- Open pocket and fill with approximately 1/3 cup filling, be generous.
- Wrap individually in foil and refrigerate.
- When grill is hot, place foil-wrapped sandwiches on grill and heat for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and continue heating until pita bread is crisp and filling is hot, 10 to 15 minutes more, depending on desired crispness.
oops. Forgot to rate these! I actually found this recipe when searching to post my own version of it. It is identical except my family always used hot dog buns (for the kids) or hoagie rolls (for the adults). Using hot dog buns this easily makes 6 servings. Chili sauce isn't common in my area so I have also made it with ketchup. Also I think you could combine ketchup and coctail sauce to get close to the same flavor.
Tasty. I scaled the recipe back to serve one for lunch. A bit messy to eat, but manageable. :)
cute and yummy! Thanks!