Recipe by Dancer^
These kids will love, my DH is a big kid and he ate 4 of them (pig). Change the topping to suit your kids and you will have their new favorite hot dog with a twist.
Top Review by Chef Tweaker
oops. Forgot to rate these! I actually found this recipe when searching to post my own version of it. It is identical except my family always used hot dog buns (for the kids) or hoagie rolls (for the adults). Using hot dog buns this easily makes 6 servings. Chili sauce isn't common in my area so I have also made it with ketchup. Also I think you could combine ketchup and coctail sauce to get close to the same flavor.
- 1⁄2 lb hot dog, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 pita bread rounds
- heavy duty aluminum foil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut hot dogs into fourths lengthwise, then slice into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Combine with olives, eggs, mustard, mayonnaise, chili sauce and cheese, mixing well.
- Cut pita rounds in half.
- Open pocket and fill with approximately 1/3 cup filling, be generous.
- Wrap individually in foil and refrigerate.
- When grill is hot, place foil-wrapped sandwiches on grill and heat for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and continue heating until pita bread is crisp and filling is hot, 10 to 15 minutes more, depending on desired crispness.