Mrs. Rum's Note:
A cheesy, creamy, black bean soup. The cheesy bread topper is the perfect foil for this. You can change the texture of the soup for your taste easily by holding back some whole beans (and extra bacon) to add in at the end or by blending for less time. Servings depend on whether you serve as a main course or as part of a Soup & Sandwich/Salad combo. Prep time includes cheese grating but you could do it while the soup simmers and save a few minutes overall - it was designed to be a weekday meal and that means fast in my house.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large celery, diced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less depending on your taste, we like it zippy)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, - 2 cans drained, 1 can undrained
- salt and pepper
- 1 French baguette, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1 cup grated smoked gouda cheese
- 1In a largish pot over medium heat render down the bacon until it's just crispy bits.
- 2Add the carrot, celery, and shallot and sautee until the carrot and celery start to become tender.
- 3Add the beef broth and cayenne pepper and bring to a simmer, simmer for 5 minutes.
- 4Add the black beans and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes, until the beans are heated through.
- 5Using a stick blender, (or your regular blender in batches), blend the soup until smooth.
- 6With the soup back on the heat stir in the Asiago until it's melted.
- 7Ladle the soup into individual crocks (or other broiler proof dishes) and top with a slice of the french bread. Sprinkle each round with grated Gouda. Broil on high for about 3 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Watch it carefully!
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 915.7
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 40.9 mg
- Sodium 1814.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 138.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 49.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: