Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious dip for tortilla chips, pita or bagel chips or fresh vegetables. From the California Milk Advisory Board.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 -2 tablespoon canned diced jalapeno pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups oaxaca cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese or 1⁄2 cup feta cheese
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno peppers; saute until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add beans and smush with the back of a spoon or potato masher until softened and heated through, another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in shredded mozzarella or Oaxaca cheese, sour cream, cumin and cayenne pepper, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle Cotija or feta on top. Serve warm or at room temperature with chips and/or vegetables.
- Leftover dip can be refrigerated and reheated in a microwave.
Went to make another black bean dip for an after Christmas party and didn't have the cream cheese it called for so I went looking for a recipe I had everything for and this was it! I substituted canned chipotle peppers for the jalapenos and monterey jack for the mozzarella. I thought the chipotle's gave enough heat so I left out the cayenne. Will be great with veggie dippers or tortilla or pita chips!