Recipe by Hey Jude
A delicious dip for tortilla chips, pita or bagel chips or fresh vegetables. From the California Milk Advisory Board.
Top Review by Grandma Deb
Went to make another black bean dip for an after Christmas party and didn't have the cream cheese it called for so I went looking for a recipe I had everything for and this was it! I substituted canned chipotle peppers for the jalapenos and monterey jack for the mozzarella. I thought the chipotle's gave enough heat so I left out the cayenne. Will be great with veggie dippers or tortilla or pita chips!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 -2 tablespoon canned diced jalapeno pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups oaxaca cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese or 1⁄2 cup feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno peppers; saute until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add beans and smush with the back of a spoon or potato masher until softened and heated through, another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in shredded mozzarella or Oaxaca cheese, sour cream, cumin and cayenne pepper, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle Cotija or feta on top. Serve warm or at room temperature with chips and/or vegetables.
- Leftover dip can be refrigerated and reheated in a microwave.