Recipe by Manami
This is so much fun to do and eat! I love fondue and having fondue parties. The recipe came from Sandra Lee, originally, but have tweaked it and played around a bit, so now I can say it is mine.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle lager beer
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 large garlic clove, cut in half
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- fresh mixed fruit, cut in bite size pieces
CRACKED WHEAT BEER BREAD
- 1 (1 lb) boxquick-mix cracked-wheat bread mix
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Take 1/2 of garlic clove and rub it around the inside of saucepan where you are going to cook the fondue mixture.
- Melt butter in the garlic saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring constantly to make a roux.
- Add beer and bring to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens to the consistency of heavy cream.
- Add Worcestershire, mustard and cayenne, stirring thoroughly.
- Add cheese 1 cup at a time, melting cheese after each addition.
- Stir fondue until it is smooth.
- Turn into garlic covered fondue pot and serve with cubed Cracked Wheat Beer Bread.
- CRACKED WHEAT BEER BREAD:.
- Follow the ingredients on bread mix package substituting beer for the water.
- Stir chopped thyme into melted butter, then stir into bread batter.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan coated with baking spray.
- Bake until browned on top and tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then cube for fondue.
- Also, serve with cut up fruit that will taste yummy with cheese.