Recipe by FireRaven
This is a fast recipe that is perfect for those times when you realize you don't have bread in the house. It is a slightly dense loaf that works well with soup, chili, etc. It can be customized in a number of ways - add any variety of cheese and herbs to the dry ingredients before adding the beer. To avoid a bitter aftertaste from the beer, use the lightest bottled brew you can find.
- 414.03 ml all-purpose flour
- 295.73 ml whole wheat flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 158.51 ml shredded cheese (I used a jack and cheddar blend)
- 340.19 g beer, bottled (the lighter the beer the better)
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift together all of the dry ingredients (flours through salt) into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the shredded cheese.
- Add the beer all at once, and stir batter until it just comes together.
- It will be lumpy.
- Do not overmix.
- Transfer to a lightly greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan and brush top with melted butter.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a rack, and allow to cool.