Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Who needs Hamburger Helper when you can prepare something much more tasty from scratch?
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups rotini pasta
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef over high heat, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoons of fat.
- Add the onion, garlic, green pepper, basil and thyme and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and water and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and reduce the heat to simmer.
- Cover and cook, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Stir in the salt, pepper and sugar.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the mozzarella.
- Cover and let stand until the cheese has melted.
I made this for the " A Taste of Yellow 2008 "and "April Showers Bring May Flowers Challenge " and last but not least our dinner on 5/20/08.Due to lack of time I had to make a few changes to the recipe.I used 2 teaspoons dried minced onion, 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder the full amount of basil and thyme, and 2 Tablespoons of dried red and green bell pepper flakes.Also since there was just SO and myself, I cut the recipe in half.I did however have to add about a total of a cup and a half of water to get the pasta cooked to the way we liked it.And since we are cheese addicts the full amount was left as is.This was a very good recipe and it will be made again. Thank you for posting and, "Keep Smiling :)"
Just as easy to make as Hamburger Helper mix, but yummier! I made this as written, but I needed to add more water. Great for kids and adults. Thanx for a quick, yummy meal.
This was not as good as I thought it would be. My family and I thought it could use more spices. I will make this again, but I think that next time I would increase the garlic and add some oregano. It was however, a very easy dish to prepare.