Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This casserole tastes similar to lasagna. Serve with a side order of salad. I also add in one can undiluted tomato soup with the tomato sauce, but that is optional! with the tomatoes!.
Top Review by kittycatmom
DH wanted something different for lunch today, and I wanted an easy to make casserole. We decided that this recipe would do the trick. We weren't disappointed. I did make a little change only using 1 chopped onion, and no green onions. I also used sour cream instead of cream cheese -- didn't realize until I was ready to put it together that I didn't have cream cheese. And fresh mushrooms instead of canned. I also mixed the cottage cheese mixture and the noodles and layered the meat and a little extra Parm. Delicious KITT! Thank you!
- 4 cups uncooked medium egg noodles (I just use one bag)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste) or 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 cup canned mushroom slices, drained (or to taste, I just use the whole can)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 small chopped green pepper
- salt and pepper
- additional parmesan cheese or grated mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13x9 baking dish.
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water; drain and toss with 3 tablespoons butter.
- Place half of the cooked noodles in the baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook ground beef, onion, garlic and cayenne and mushrooms, over medium heat until meat is no londer pink; drain.
- Add tomato sauce and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; simmer for about 30 minutes seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, cottage cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan, green onions and green peppers, then spread half of the mixture on top of the cooked noodles.
- Top with half of the meat and cheese mixtures.
- Repeat the layers.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Place back in the oven to bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbley.