Recipe by Sharlene~W
This is a quick and easy kid-friendly recipe I found years ago in a Better Homes & Garden cookbook. The kids never know they are eating their carrots.
Top Review by WJKing
This was really yummy. I have to admit, I'm not much of a meat eater, so I added two CUPS of shredded cheddar to this. :)
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground pork
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2-1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (use more or less as desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, cook ground beef or pork and garlic until meat is browned.
- Drain off fat.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same saucepan, cook uncooked rice in butter until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in water, carrot, bouillon, parsley, onion, salt and basil.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in meat mixture.
- Turn half into a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with a layer of cheese.
- Top with remaining meat mixture.
- Bake at 325°F oven for 45 minutes, stirring twice.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.