Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a quick and easy kid-friendly recipe I found years ago in a Better Homes & Garden cookbook. The kids never know they are eating their carrots.
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground pork
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2-1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (use more or less as desired)
- In large saucepan, cook ground beef or pork and garlic until meat is browned.
- Drain off fat.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same saucepan, cook uncooked rice in butter until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in water, carrot, bouillon, parsley, onion, salt and basil.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in meat mixture.
- Turn half into a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with a layer of cheese.
- Top with remaining meat mixture.
- Bake at 325°F oven for 45 minutes, stirring twice.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
This was really yummy. I have to admit, I'm not much of a meat eater, so I added two CUPS of shredded cheddar to this. :)
This is a very yummy dish. It has a wonderful, different flavor from what I usually make, making it a real treat to find. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!:o)
I didnt add the carrots as we are not big fans,i did add extra cheese(is there such a thing as too much?)this was a good recipe,fast & easy to make,thanks for posting Sharlene