Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is a favorite at my house. The list of ingredients my sound sorta strange but it makes a yummy casserole! We serve it with garlic bread.
- 2 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 1⁄8 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place macaroni in the pot, cook 9 to 11 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the ground beef, onion, red peppers and garlic until beef is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in wine, and continue cooking 1 minute. Mix in milk, mustard, soy sauce and black olives, stir until heated through. Whisk the flour into the mixture and gradually stir in 2 cups of the cheese until melted.
- Mix in the thyme and add the macaroni to the skillet. Stir until combined and place in the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cook uncovered 30 minutes in a preheated oven until bubbly and lightly brown.
I thought this dish was suppose to be on the saucy side, but it just tastes like thyme, black pepper, and the pasta. I normally try to find a positive with every meal, and the only positive with this one is it was easy to make.