Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is my favourite version of a British classic. You can't beat beans on toast for a quick, cheap meal! It is important to use Heinz baked beans or some other brand that uses tomato sauce as the base, not barbecue sauce as is the American standard. Most US grocery stores have Heinz or Batchelors in the International aisle.
- 226.79 g canheinz baked beans in tomato sauce (the small single-person size)
- 2 slice white bread
- butter (to your taste)
- grated cheddar cheese (1/4 to 1/2 cup)
- Worcestershire sauce (optional- I prefer without)
- Put the beans in a saucepan and warm over medium heat until beginning to bubble.
- Meanwhile toast the bread.
- Once toasted, butter the bread and place slices side by side on a plate.
- Pour the heated beans over the bread.
- Scatter the grated cheese over the top and serve!
- Some people add worcestershire sauce or hot sauce over the top at this stage. Personally I like it just as it is!
I recently had the pleasure of someone introducing me to this amazing breakfast. The only difference was she added an egg over easy on top of the beans and cheese. The yolk definitely put this over the top! Great breakfast either way, so quick and delicious.
VERY tasty!!! Great for something different!!! NO Worcestershire sauce for me, either. My uncle used to make a sandwich something like this...instead of cheese, he would split & seed a hot banana pepper & put that on the beans. THANKS!!! BTW...I used BUSH'S Baked Beans.