Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my favourite version of a British classic. You can't beat beans on toast for a quick, cheap meal! It is important to use Heinz baked beans or some other brand that uses tomato sauce as the base, not barbecue sauce as is the American standard. Most US grocery stores have Heinz or Batchelors in the International aisle.
- Put the beans in a saucepan and warm over medium heat until beginning to bubble.
- Meanwhile toast the bread.
- Once toasted, butter the bread and place slices side by side on a plate.
- Pour the heated beans over the bread.
- Scatter the grated cheese over the top and serve!
- Some people add worcestershire sauce or hot sauce over the top at this stage. Personally I like it just as it is!