1/1 Photo of Cheesy Basil-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
I got this recipe out of The Best of America's Test Kitchen book. Its simple and it's a real family pleaser :) I served this with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli for a complete meal. Note: Avoid thin chicken breasts for this recipe; they are difficult to stuff without tearing. Preshredded or part-skim mozzarella will also work in the filling, but it will be grainy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6-8 oz each)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 slice high quality sandwich bread, torn into quarters
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- toothpicks or wooden skewer
- 1Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Combine the cheese, 2 Tbls. of the basil, cream, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of the garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper to taste in a medium bowl.
- 3Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and cut off any fat. Cut a pocket in the thickest part of the chicken breast and gently work the knife back and forth until the pocket extends down into most of the breast.
- 4Scoop one-quarter of the filling into each breast.
- 5Seal the opening by threading a toothpick or wooden skewer through the chicken about 1/4 inch from the opening.
- 6Transfer the stuffed breasts to a 13 by 9-inch baking dish and spread evenly with mayonnaise.
- 7Pulse the bread in a food processor to coarse crumbs, about 8 pulses. Toss the breadcrumbs with 1 teaspoons garlic, 2 Tbls. basil, and 1 Tbls. of EVOO. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the chicken, pressing lightly to adhere.
- 8Toss the tomatoes with 1 Tbls. EVOO, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper to taste. Arrange in the baking dish around the chicken. Bake until the crumbs are golden brown and the thickest part of the chicken registers 160 degrees, about 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Basil-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.4
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 103.9 mg
- Sodium 382.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 35.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: