- 5 large russet potatoes
- 59.14 ml butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 stalk celery, diced (optional)
- 14.79-29.58 ml fresh minced garlic
- 78.07 ml flour
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 946.0 ml half-and-half cream
- 709.77 ml milk
- salt and black pepper
- 177.44 ml old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese (can use less)
- 8-10 slice cooked bacon, crumbled
- parmesan cheese, for topping
- grated cheddar cheese, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake the potatoes in the oven until fork-tender (about 1 hour) cool and remove the peel.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl and mash using a fork.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add in onion, garlic and celery (if using) saute until tender.
- Add in flour and cayenne and stir until smooth.
- Add in the mashed potatoes, half and half cream and milk; cook over low heat until thoroughly heated.
- Add in 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese and half of the cooked crumbled bacon; stir until the cheese has melted and the soup is heated through.
- Season soup with salt and black pepper.
- Ladle into serving bowls; sprinkle with remaining crumbled bacon and more cheddar cheese or Parmesan cheese.