Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This soup really hits the spot on cool days served with crusty buns and butter!
Make and share this Cheesy Baked Potato and Bacon Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 5 large russet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 stalk celery, diced (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 3 cups milk
- salt and black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use less)
- 8 -10 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- parmesan cheese, for topping
- grated cheddar cheese, for topping
- Bake the potatoes in the oven until fork-tender (about 1 hour) cool and remove the peel.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl and mash using a fork.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add in onion, garlic and celery (if using) saute until tender.
- Add in flour and cayenne and stir until smooth.
- Add in the mashed potatoes, half and half cream and milk; cook over low heat until thoroughly heated.
- Add in 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese and half of the cooked crumbled bacon; stir until the cheese has melted and the soup is heated through.
- Season soup with salt and black pepper.
- Ladle into serving bowls; sprinkle with remaining crumbled bacon and more cheddar cheese or Parmesan cheese.
This was tasty on a cool evening! Easy to make. My husband didn't care for it but I loved everything about it! Thanks for a great recipe.
Because of time constraints today, I was unable to bake the potatoes. So, I took the skin off and boiled them on the stove-top--just like I would to make mashed potatoes. I used green bell pepper instead of celery. Kit, I know how you like things spicy~so I decreased the cayenne to 1/4 teaspoon and it was perfect for our tastes! My potatoes weren't very large, so I ended up using 7 regular sized potatoes. When I started adding the half-n-half and milk, I felt I only needed about 1 1/2 cups of milk to make the soup to the creaminess we wanted. This soup is AWESOME! My hubby is in lunch heaven right now. Thanks, Kitz!