Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is another take on macaroni and cheese. I like to use some cheddar for a little added classic macaroni and cheese flavor. I also put in different vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower or carrots) to vary the dish. A great comfort meal for cold days. I got this recipe from a cooking magazine from Byerley's.
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb mostaccioli pasta or 1 lb rigatoni pasta or 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 cup frozen peas broccoli cauliflower carrots
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, diced
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated, separated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter shallow baking dish (2 1/2 qt). Bring at least 4 qts. water to boil for pasta.
- To make sauce:.
- Heat milk in medium saucepan until small bubbles form around edges.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and stir well. Cook, stirring, until thickened and smooth, whisking for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add hot milk in a thin stream, whisking constantly.
- When all milk has been added, stir in nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- Raise heat to medium and bring sauce to simmer. Cook 2 more minutes. Pour into bowl.
- Add pasta to boiling water with 2 tablespoons salt. Stir well. Cook until the pasta is still firm to bite. Drain well.
- Toss pasta with sauce.
- Stir in peas or other vegetables with provolone and 3/4 cups of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Scrape mixture into dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil. Bake 25 minutes. Uncover and bake until sauce is bubbling around edges and center is hot, about 10 more minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.