Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a wonderful side dish to any meal, also a great way to use up any extra tomatoes that you might have. The grated mozza cheese on top is only an option, I have made this many times without using the mozza or cheddar cheese, and they are still delicious. Also if desired these may be broiled under the broiler instead of baked, but I find that broiling causes the crust to burn too fast.
Top Review by TxGriffLover
Another winner from the talented and amazing Ms. Kittencal! The only thing I did differently was to add some minced garlic and a pinch of Italian seasoning to the melted butter. We loved your recipe, and perfect for the summer crop of tomatoes!
- 1⁄4 melted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups dry breadcrumbs (breadcrumbs MUST be dry)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 4 large ripe meaty tomatoes, cut in 1 inch sliced
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese (or more if desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a 15-inch cookie sheet with foil, spray with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- In a bowl, combine the DRY bread crumbs, 1/4 cup melted butter, Parmesan cheese and black pepper to taste; mix well to combine.
- Brush the tomato slices on both sides with the 2 Tbsp melted butter (you might need more butter than 2 Tbsps for this).
- Coat the tomato slices in the bread crumb mixture (patting down firmly with hands to seal/coat well).
- Place the slices on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes; turn over with spatula, and bake for another 12-15 minutes or more or less depending on desired tomato texture.
- Remove from oven.
- Set oven to broil.
- Sprinkle the grated mozza or cheddar on top of the baked tomato slices; broil under broiler until melted.
- Serve hot or room temperature-- delicious!