Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is wonderful to serve at a brunch, the Tabasco is only optional I add it in for an extra boost of flavor -- you may use cooked crumbled sausage meat in place of the ham, feel free to add in frozen broccoli, olives, jalapeno pepper or whatever you wish --- you are going to *love* this! :)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, well drained
- 2 -3 cups cooked cubed ham
- 12 large eggs, beaten (or use extra-large eggs)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder (yes! baking powder)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon white salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (optional and to taste) or 1 dash hot sauce (optional and to taste)
- Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, mushrooms and ham on the bottom of the baking dish; set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; add in onion and green bell pepper and cook until softened (about 3-4 minutes) then sprinkle the mixture on top of the ham in the baking dish.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with baking powder cream, salt, pepper and Tabasco until well blended; pour over the ingredients in the dish (do not stir).
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until the eggs are no longer runny and the center is set and top is slightly browned.
- Sprinkle top of the casserole with 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, you may stick the pan back in the oven for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese or the cheese will still melt is sprinkled on right our of the oven.
- Cool then cut into squares.
It was a rainy morning so fired up the oven and made this recipe. It was a good and hearty breakfast. I used bacon and frozen peppers and onions. I also used four blend cheese as that is what I had. I just mixed everything in a mixing bowl together and poured into a pan and cooked. It was good. We really enjoyed it.
This is a great quick breakfast. I used bacon bits instead of ham. And I eyeballed the ingredients for 8 eggs worth of the recipe. I used an 8 egg carton of egg beaters and omitted the milk. Very good.