In 'The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position; preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Lightly coat a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- 3Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 4Add the onion and salt; cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in the water, milk, and hot sauce; bring to a boil.
- 6Pour the grits into the boiling liquid in a very slow stream while whisking constantly in a circular motion to prevent clumping.
- 7Cover and decrease heat to low.
- 8Cook, stirring often and vigorously (make sure to scrape the corners of the pot), until the grits are thick and creamy, 10-15 minutes.
- 9Off the heat, whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheddar, the eggs, and pepper.
- 10Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- 11Bake until the top is browned and the grits are hot, 35-40 minutes.
- 12Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- 13Per 2/3 cup serving--200 calories, 8 g fat, 22 g carb, 9 g protein.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Baked Grits (Healthier)
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.2
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 92.0 mg
- Sodium 378.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 9.1 g