Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
In 'The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook
Make and share this Cheesy Baked Grits (Healthier) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups old-fashioned grits
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position; preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly coat a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and salt; cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the water, milk, and hot sauce; bring to a boil.
- Pour the grits into the boiling liquid in a very slow stream while whisking constantly in a circular motion to prevent clumping.
- Cover and decrease heat to low.
- Cook, stirring often and vigorously (make sure to scrape the corners of the pot), until the grits are thick and creamy, 10-15 minutes.
- Off the heat, whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheddar, the eggs, and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the top is browned and the grits are hot, 35-40 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Per 2/3 cup serving--200 calories, 8 g fat, 22 g carb, 9 g protein.