Recipe by Mirj
This makes a very special breakfast dish, although my family has been known to also have it for a light supper.
Top Review by WizzyTheStick
I don't know if the type of bread used was the problem. We don't have challah bread here, so I used regular white bread. I have to say that while we all liked it well enough we thought that it was just ordinary.
- 12 slices white bread or 12 slices challah, crusts removed
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, sliced
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter the bottom of an 8 x 12 inch baking pan.
- Cover the bottom with 6 slices of the bread.
- Place the slices of cheese over the bread, and cover the cheese with the remaining 6 slices of bread.
- Beat the eggs with the milk and the seasonings in a medium bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes until the French Toast is brown and puffed.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar.