Recipe by Sassy in da South
Nice for breakfast on the go.
Top Review by Julie B's Hive
Followed the recipe to a T and used quality ingredients but I had a difficult time getting this into the pan; the dough was too crumbly to knead well so I just patted it into my pan. It rose well enough in the oven but sadly no one in my family cared for it, it was much too salty for us to enjoy. Both my square pans were busy so I used a round pan and cut into wedges. Hope someone else tries and does better by this recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes (cold)
- 6 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in the cubed butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cheese and crumbled bacon - toss well to combine.
- Pour in yogurt and stir just until combined. Scoop the mixture out to a lightly floured surface and knead just until it forms a dough, about 10 to 15 times.
- Pat the dough out until it is about a 8" square.
- Evenly divide the dough in half, then cut each half into 8 sticks - place each stick onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake until golden, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly before serving.