Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
cooking time, does not include cooking the bacon, adjust ingredients to taste.
- 6 -8 bacon, strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn
- 8 -9 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- seasoning salt (to taste) or white salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a saucepan cook bacon until crisp; remove, crumble then set aside.
- To the drippings in the saucepan saute onion and garlic until tender (about 3 minutes).
- Add water, potatoes and bouillon granules; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl combine/whisk flour with 1/4 cup milk until smooth; add flour mixture, half and half, corn and remaining milk to soup; bring to a light boil cook and stir for 2-3 mins, or until thickened.
- Reduce heat add cheese and bacon cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Yummy soup!! Cheese and potatoes, corn and bacon, delicious! This recipe was easy to put together and even the 4 year old liked it! I lightened it a bit for DH who is watching his calories and so decreased the bacon and cheese quantities and left out the cream. It was very good! Thanks, Kittencal!!
Thank you so much for this recipe, Kittencal! I love it and more importantly the rest of the gang does, too. I love the concept of cooking the drippings with the water, boullin and potatoes, thus making its own broth. Half the time I do not have chicken broth on hand, but I can always find a boullion in the cupboard. Since I make this in my pressure cooker I can cook the potatoes in five minutes, which makes it do-able at the last minute. I use a mixture of cheddar and american cheeses, since I always have them on hand. This has become a favorite!