Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are great to serve for a weekend brunch with eggs! Add in about 1/3 cup finely chopped green onion also if desired.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (use a semi-heaping tablespoon!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I like to use seasoned salt)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (or adjust to taste)
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese, grated
- 9 slices bacon (save the bacon dripping)
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup full-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (with 2 tablespoons bacon drippings to make 1/4 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, finely shredded for tops
- Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare and generously grease 18 muffin tins.
- In a skillet cook the bacon until crisp; remove to a plate, and save about 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings.
- Crumble the bacon when cool enough to handle.
- In a bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cayenne.
- Add in the shredded cheese and crumbled bacon (and chopped green onions if using).
- In a small cup or bowl combine the 2 tablespoons melted butter and 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg, then add in the half and half cream and the butter/bacon grease mixture; whisk to combine, then add into the dry ingredients; mix well to combine (if you find that the mixture is a little dry then add in another tablespoon melted butter).
- Fill the muffin tins about 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle with finely grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until muffins test done.
This was an easy recipe to throw together. The corn meal gives the muffins a nice bite. I felt they could have had a bit more flavour. (This might have been my fault because I did not use the bacon drippings per Kittencal's instructions.) I will make these again because of the ease of preparation. They would be perfect for a Sunday brunch. I only got 12 muffins from the recipe.